Selling A Car Without A V5 Document

What is Lorem Ipsum? Image

Looking to sell your car but not sure if you have the V5 documentation? If you're new to selling cars, or it's your first time read our car selling guide.


What is a V5 logbook?

A V5 (or vehicle logbook) is a legal document issued by the DVLA which contains proof of ownership, and specific vehicle details. The document is also used to inform the DVLA if the vehicle has been modified, scrapped, written off, of a change of ownership, or change of name and/or address. 


Can I sell my car without the V5?

You can technically both sell and scrap the vehicle without the V5 document. If you have already sold the car without your V5, you need to inform DVLA of the sale right away. Send a signed letter with the vehicle’s registration number, model, make, the date of sale and the new keeper’s details to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR.

However some places may not take the vehicle without a V5 logbook as it can be used to make sure that the vehicle is not stolen, so you may encounter some raised eyebrows trying to sell without your V5.

Selling your car with GoodBye Car is quick and easy - enter your vehicle’s registration number here and get an instant valuation emailed to you in a matter of minutes. 

Can I sell a car if I’ve lost the V5 document?

If you sell your car you must tell the DVLA immediately using the V5 registration certificate. If your document is damaged or lost, you must get a replacement before you sell your vehicle. The new vehicle owner will not be able to tax the car without it.

If you are still the registered keeper (with the same name, address, and vehicle details) getting a replacement can be sorted over the phone. You can phone the DVLA on 0300 790 6802 Monday to Friday 8:00-18:00, or Saturday 8:00-14:00. The new V5 document will cost £25 and should take up to five days to arrive.

We have compiled a list of the documents you need to sell your car. If you have any other questions, GoodBye Car will be happy to help!

Most recent guides