Selling your car can be stressful, so GoodBye Car tries to make the process as seamless as possible. We have compiled a list of all the documents you need to sell your car in one place. When you're ready, get a stress-free car valuation in minutes.
What documents do I need to sell my car?
Here is a list of the documents you will typically need to sell your car, however it may depend on whether you are selling privately or to a dealer. To sell to GoodBye Car you will be asked for the following:
- Vehicle documentation
- V5 (if your V5 document is damaged or lost, you must get a replacement before you sell your vehicle. The new owner will not be able to tax the car without it. You can find out more about selling your car without your V5 here)
- If applicable, MOT
- Service book and Handbook
- Spare keys, locking wheel nuts, Sat Nav discs, radio and key codes
- Photo driving license or passport
- If there is outstanding finance, a letter from the finance company confirming their settlement figure and validity - check out our guide on selling your car on finance
- One of either: a utility bill, bank or credit card statement, Council Tax statement (these must be in your current address and match the address on the V5)
- If you are not the registered keeper, then we will require written authorisation from the registered keeper that you are authorised to sell the vehicle and the registered keepers’ photo ID
- Your UK bank details and/or that of the registered keeper
Our free, no obligation, online vehicle valuation is quick and simple to use. Taking under 2 minutes to complete, your instant online valuation is guaranteed for 5 days to ensure you get the best possible price for your car, as well as a quick and easy sales process.
When you're ready book an appointment at one of our 7 Dealerships in Scotland.
If you are not the registered keeper, check out our guides answering ‘can someone else sell my car for me?’, Can I Sell A Damaged Car' or our guide on Selling A Deceased Person’s Car. If you have any questions, GoodBye Car will try their best to help you!